Thursday, September 17, 2009

Sweeter than sugar: Bubblegum music

Probably one of my favorite genres of music to listen to. This kind of music puts me in the best mood ever. So, if you catch yourself walking down Lonely Alley (the one behind Buzzkill Blvd) looking down at the ground and kicking rocks while feeling sorry for yourself, do yourself a favor and buy a bubblegum record. I literally blast this until my shitty car speakers start crackling, singing along as loud as possible even if I don't totally know the lyrics (kind of like when you're listening to "It's the End of the World as We Know It" when no one else is around and you're all nunna nunna nunna nunna nunna LEONARD BERNSTEIN!!). It's no wonder why this band in particular, 1910 Fruitgum Company, was one of Joey Ramones favorite bands. Their songs could easily be Ramones songs if they were cranked up louder and played faster. Check out this song called 1-2-3 Red Light:



While I think this kind of music was originally written for pimply faced pre-teens to enjoy, a lot of bubblegum songs remind me of cartoons: cute and silly things that kids enjoy, but certain elements being above their heads. Specifically the sexual content. If you think about the lyrics in the above song... "Every time I try to prove my love, 1-2-3 red light you stop me. If you stop me again, that's when we might end." Hmmm.... interestinggggg...

No comments:

Post a Comment