Saturday, September 5, 2009

Get with the program: Phyllis Dillon



It bums me out that Phyllis Dillon doesn’t get enough props. It seems like a lot of people don’t know about her, and that ain’t right. The majority of music I listened to in high school was 60’s ska and rocksteady (and Operation Ivy, Gorilla Biscuits, Metallica, Nirvana) (side note: I recently listened to GB's "Start Today" and I still love that record as much as I did when I was 14). I always had a hard time finding female singers from that era and genre. Phyllis recorded in Jamaica with Duke Reid (Treausure Isle) in the 60’s and 70’s, combining wonderful original songs with amazing covers that were popular in America. Her voice is soft and buttery and she has amazing vibrato. Not like the intense vibrato as, say, Ronnie Spector or Frankie Lymon, but in that same realm. Finding her records are near impossible. Good luck finding 45s, but I have two reissue LPs of hers that I got about 8 years ago at Lou’s Records (when Lou’s Records had a decent reggae vinyl section). The vinyl is filled with pits. What’s up with those Jamaican printing plants?? The records always skip all over the place!! But you can find several CD compilations of hers and I HIGHLY recommend you buy them this weekend...






No comments:

Post a Comment