Friday, January 28, 2011

Know your chicken: Meet Cibo Matto





Ok, I should start off by saying I only own one record of theirs (pictured above), Viva! La Woman, which was released in 1996. I remember when I first heard this album, it was a sound and style I wasn't used to... and I fell in love. This album is all over the place... some of their songs have an almost ethereal vibe (like the song Sugar Water), while others are really chaotic. Cibo Matto is a hip hop/trip hop/jazz/disco/samples/loops explosion, led by two eclectic female Japanese singers (who could give even Yoko Ono a run for her money) and accompanied by Sean Lennon. Beef jerky, sugar water, chicken, ice cream, birthday cake... they talk about food a lot. In fact Cibo Matto means "crazy food" in Italian... these are my kinda girls.

In total, the band released 2 albums, 2 EPs and several 45s. The singers were also in Butter 08, who are really amazing!

Extra sugar, extra salt,extra oil and MSG... Shut up and eat! You know my love is sweet!!! Check out the album version of Birthday Cake and the original version. SO RAD.





Here's a cool live version of Know Your Chicken:

No comments:

Post a Comment